3 Signs You May Have Mold in Your Home

Molds, or small fungi organisms that produce microscopic spores, are present in many places. Beneficial molds, like those in cheeses, medicines, manufacturing, and nature, play an important role in the conversion and breaking down of organic matter to leave something more valuable and useful in its place.

Other molds, however, can be invasive and are unwelcome in indoor environments where they can cause structural damage or health trouble for you and your family.
Not all mold is threatening, but you should recognize these signs of mold so you can tackle the issue before it becomes a larger problem.

1. Your Health Starts to Suffer
When mold spores release, they may drift in the air you breathe or settle onto the surfaces of your home, where they’re likely to multiply and grow given the proper conditions. When inhaled, mold can irritate your respiratory system, cause allergic reactions, exacerbate asthma symptoms, and aggravate your eyes, skin, nose, and sinuses.

If you suspect mold in your home, take note of any unusual physical symptoms that may have recently appeared and have no other apparent cause. Mold exposure can result in less obvious symptoms such as headaches, skin rashes, congestion, and hay fever.

These ailments have a variety of causes and are not always from mold. Still, if you have suspicions about unhealthy molds in your home, you might want to document a correlation.

2. You Can Spot the Signs
Mold doesn’t need much to spread. In order to grow and multiply, it requires only a small amount of water and nutrients, and, once it begins, it can develop very quickly.

At first, mold appears as a small blotch usually around moist areas, and it may be in dark, obscure places. It varies in the way it looks and can be light, dark, speckled, a single color, or even many colors. Like the mold that grows on bread left on the counter for too long, it often looks powdery or like the texture of velvet.

Mold and other substances can look remarkably similar. Any peculiar spots, especially ones that may resemble dirt smudges or other stains, that seem to increase in size could be a sign of mold. To rule it out, apply a drop of diluted bleach and wait a couple of minutes. Mold will respond to the chemical by lightening in color in the applied area.

Mold may also emit an unpleasant smell. Look into any musty, moldy odors that you notice indoors as soon as possible, as this indicates that some harmful elements of mold could have made their way into the air.

In addition, mold may have less obvious signs, such as cracking, bubbling, warping, or peeling walls or other surfaces — especially if they’re prone to moisture buildup.

3. You’ve Noticed Excess Moisture
While water damage is an obvious invitation for mold growth, any area where moisture can build up is vulnerable, too. Mold grows in a variety of places, such as:

  • Bathrooms

  • Kitchens

  • Carpeting

  • Pipes

  • Windows or doors

  • Fabrics (such as towels or shower curtains)

  • Humidifiers

  • Food

  • Sprinkler systems

Mold is especially common in places of high humidity. Any place with excess moisture can encourage mold growth, but mold cannot thrive in sunny places with frequent exposure to UV rays. Because mold needs nutrients in order to multiply, mold growth can start to eat away at drywall, carpet, wood, and even furniture. When you suspect mold, don’t wait to take action. With mold removal, leave it to a professional to ensure it’s removed swiftly and safely. For any questions regarding mold removal and remediation, or to schedule a consultation or request a quote, get in touch with the professionals at ACE Restoration Services, LLC, before a somewhat manageable problem becomes unruly and difficult to control.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest